Have you ever noticed that usually in a romantic or a female centered book, be it a suspense, thriller, fantasy, contemporary or a young adult genre, mostly the Female Leads are pretty, beautiful and easy to fall in love with.
If you pick a book, you will find around 95% of the time she is beautiful to the boot. There is nothing wrong in that, all I am wondering is why always. If the story is about her features being less than average and still finding love than its a totally different matter like ‘The DUFF’ by Kody Keplinger.
Keeping this in mind I conducted a Poll survey on my twitter page @agarwalanurika. The question was –
And the options were
- Strong minded and outspoken
- Timid and loner
- Beauty with brains
- Butt kicking
I focused on the other aspects of the character than her physical features, to see what the readers look in a character. Also I asked them to share their opinion.
As the final result of the poll , It was concluded that readers looks for a strong minded and outspoken female lead ( writers make a note ) followed by beauty with brains and then comes the Butt kicking and timid / loner.
There could be many other options other than the above four, Tell me what do you like in a female lead!!
Through the survey I got to know some interesting facts too like-
- They don’t actually care about the characteristics of the leads, but the quality that makes them unique, so that a reader can remember them.
- Leads should be a perfect blend of strong, outspoken and brains with a hint of sarcasm
- Also some considered being beautiful is a bonus with a strong personality and intelligent mind.
- The most special; there are people who fall in the other 5% category.
There is quite a pool of writers who break the stereotype and write about the real reflection of people. Those female protagonist are seen everywhere like-
- Tom Boy habits
- Over Wight problem
- Acne scars
- Physical disabilities
- Or just not comfortable in her own skin
These are the writers we need to look forward to, so that we can face the reality, not some pre-cooked notion that everything is perfect. Because it is not.
What do you think about the picturing of female leads. Do tell me.
Follow me for latest updates and polls. My twitter handle- @agarwalanurika